At Bromley Heath Infants School we have introduced a whole school focus on teaching the children to be successful and reflective learners. Children worked with a visiting artist to help them design our Learning Bears. We teach the Secrets of Success based on work by Chris Quigley to help our children develop positive behaviour, attitudes and values.
Secrets of Success by Chris Quigley (2014)
Our eight key learning attitudes will help pupils to discover what will bring them success in their lives:
- Try new things – If you never try, you’ll never know.
- Work well – It’s not luck or looks that make you successful, it’s all about the effort.
- Concentrate – Learn to focus, tune out distractions and be mindful.
- Challenge yourself – Fight your fears and learn to push past doubts.
- Imagine – Have ideas and don’t be scared of being wrong.
- Improve – Keep advancing, bit by bit. Success never comes in one giant step.
- Understand others – Learn to listen, listen to learn about others.
- Keep on going – Sir Winston Churchill said ‘Success isn’t final, failure isn’t fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.’
You can read more about each of these areas in this article here.
Web link: Secrets of Success Article.pdf